Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Setting Priorities

It was a typical Sunday evening.   The kids were finished playing outside with their friends and we just sat down at the table for dinner.  I had asked each of my kids if they had fun today playing with their friends.   My daughter answers, “Mommy, I had fun with my friends today but I would much rather have played soccer outside with you.  How come we don’t ever get a chance to play together?”  Wow this hit me like a ton of bricks.  When I stopped to think about it, she was right.  It had been a really long time since I had played with the kids.  Part of it was the fact that usually I am doing laundry, dishes, making dinner, etc., but the other part of it was that I assumed she would rather play with her friends than with me. 
It was obvious we had a disconnect somewhere.   Since we were all together I decided to use that time to talk about and write down a list of what each of us valued and viewed important.  Since I knew my daughter obviously wanted to spend more time with me, I knew that I had to make a drastic change with how I was spending my time and what I was spending my time on. So I asked myself these questions:
1.   Do the choices I make align with what I value?
2.   Will making this choice help me to honor my priorities?
3.   Do I have ultimate control over this choice?
By doing this it helped me focus my time and attention on the important things. 
I also took this concept and applied it at work.  I identified what projects were priorities and was I spending my time on those?   What was getting in the way of spending time on those projects? I met with my manager to make sure my priorities aligned with his goals and objective as well as the company’s goals and objectives.  I also blocked off time on my calendar each morning to identify what I was going to focus my attention on that day.  I found by doing that, it helped me stay focused as each of you know how easily, and how often, distractions occur.   
That was 5 months ago.  What I have found was that by adjusting my efforts and focusing on what was important, I am able to drive results that are more meaningful.  And by reviewing these priorities every so often, it allows me to make adjustments where necessary, as priorities will change.
At home, I feel like we have spent more quality time together as a family.  Initially I didn't think I would be able to find that time, and I’ll admit, the house isn’t as picked up, the laundry and dishes do pile up, but those things, to me, aren’t really that important.  There will always be time for laundry and dishes but time with the kids is limited as I know their priorities of spending time with Mom and Dad will change as they get older. 
So I challenge you to try this.  You might be surprised what you find out.

~Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment