Sunday, September 23, 2012

Guest Blogger- How Am I Different?

Today's Guest Blogger is Liz Meeks. These Ladies Have "IT" met Liz through the WOMEN UNLIMITED LEAD program that brought the four of us together.  The program was instrumental in growing not only us as leaders but a classroom full of women.  We asked guest blogger Liz Meeks to share her experience with WOMEN UNLIMITED, INC. LEAD Program.  Liz carries a presence that is inspirational and it is our hope that her story will lead you to reflect on your own journey of leadership. 


How am I different?
Reflection is important. It allows insight into what is possible, what is present and what has transpired over time. I recently sat down to reflect on what has transpired for me over the last year and the changes I have experienced in myself as a result of my Women Unlimited LEAD participation.

My goal for this last year (as stated in my IDP) was, "I will be known as an
inspiring and influential leader people want to work for by providing rewarding and challenging work in a flexible and engaging environment." Using the EQ rules to frame my changes, here is what feedback suggests is different:

THINK EXCELLENCE – NOT PERFECTION AND DONT DO IT ALONE. These two rules together illustrate a major shift for me. It was said that I’m, "not jumping in so quickly with the solution – I’m letting others find it on their own." This change is significant for me, because I am leading a team of people who are responsible for resolving problems that I used to be responsible for resolving. Pulling myself out of the details and finding satisfaction in others’ successes rather than my own was a transformation. Then, recognizing that their successes were also my own – by leading them through and to them – was another shift.

LOOK LIKE A LEADER AND MANAGE WORK, LEAD PEOPLE. These rules also come into my change together. One naturally leads into the other. In order to look like a leader, one must be visible. This was challenging for my team due to location and space issues. To overcome this, I embarked on a mission to gain more visibility, not only for myself, but for my team as well. I was intentional about getting my team to the locations where the majority of our larger organization resided – this allowed face to face meetings to occur and relationships to be built. These relationships are foundational to any highly engaged team and they cannot be built in a virtual environment.
Visibility isn’t the whole picture. Ensuring that what people are seeing is translating as leadership presence is crucial to looking like a leader. A huge factor in this is the level of one’s self-confidence. My confidence level has increased this last year and I’m successfully overcoming my Imposter Syndrome symptoms. These changes are the result of increase comfort in my current position and leadership level. This increased confidence has contributed to my being more influential in the organization.
Secondly, I needed to lead my team by removing obstacles to their successes, supply them with adequate resources (people, time, equipment, etc) to get the job done, and rejuvenate stale processes that got in the way of their engagement. In order to do this, I became a spokesperson for the "FICO Experience." I shared with HR and prospective candidates information about what our team is looking for in an employee as well as what someone can expect to gain from an experience with my team. I also reached out to the HR community to let them know that our team fully embraces flexible work arrangements like part-time opportunities, telecommuting, compressed work weeks and other informal flexible arrangements. Getting the word out about the benefits of an experience on my team brought more candidates to our job postings and enabled us to hire top talent into our group.
To provide them with additional time they need to do their work, I led a brainstorming session with my team to discover where our "time wasting" was occurring. We determined that we could reduce the frequency of several meetings – as well as the duration and agendas. We focused our time then on more knowledge management to allow all team members to gain insights into other areas of work, topics of interest to the overall group, as well as topics relevant to the company.
In order to better manage the work, I encouraged my team to be more active in the decisions affecting their work. They have the best understanding of the current workloads. When "nice to have" requests come in, they are free to say no, or defer them until later. Providing clear expectations for priorities allows them to make these decisions with the knowledge that management will support them.

TAKE RISKS – MAKE DECISIONS Being more decisive was an area I knew I needed to improve upon. My tendency was to get mired in the details and not able to make a decision without ensuring it was 100% correct. The following story illustrates this transformational shift for me.

Prior to our first Women Unlimited workshop, I took the initiative to organize a group dinner for all the participants. This would give us all a chance to meet one another in a social environment prior to entering the workshop. First, I sent out an email asking for everyone’s restaurant preferences. I polled all 30+ women, collected responses and narrowed it down to Maggiano’s. Then I took the menu options (there are several "levels" of family style dining available) from Maggiano’s and polled the 30+ women on what their menu preferences would be. I collected the responses and then agonized (right up until meeting everyone at the restaurant) on what selections to make for each course. My WU pal, Kathy R., finally brought me back to reality when she said, "Just make a decision, Liz. Everyone will enjoy it, no matter what you choose!" Wow – she was so right. I buckled down, made the decision and everything went off perfectly (or, rather, excellently!).
Flash forward 12 months…we are preparing for our graduation and final WU workshop. I wanted to organize another dinner for everyone to celebrate the culmination of our journey together. Rather than poll people for their choices, I simply sent out an invitation (for Maggiano’s), and collected the RSVPs. The rest of the process was my decision. I chose to have the event in a banquet room, I chose the menu (being conscious of any dietary restrictions), and scheduled the event for a time frame that should accommodate the majority of attendees. No agonizing over locations, menu options or other details.

THE BOTTOM LINE I am a changed leader. The change is subtle in some ways, more dramatic in others. My challenge moving forward is keeping up the momentum without the benefit of monthly workshops with my WU Clan. What am I going to do to ensure I am continuing to develop as a more strategic leader? There are several options here, all of which I hope to make use of. The Alumnae network provides regular opportunities to connect with other WU graduates for Webcasts and conferences. I have already scheduled a meeting for several WU graduates in my organization to collectively attend the next WU Webcast. There are several LinkedIn groups available that I am currently contributing to and will continue to stay engaged with in the coming months. Women Unlimited also provides opportunities to stay connected through attending one Lead session on a drop in basis as well as by becoming a TEAM mentor. I intend to make use of these options as well. I hope every one of my WU sisters keeps in touch. I will miss their faces, laughter and conversation.

Guest Blogger,

Liz Meeks
Find me on:
http://png-2.findicons.com/files/icons/2052/social_network/32/facebook.pnghttp://png-1.findicons.com/files/icons/2052/social_network/32/twitter.pnghttp://png-3.findicons.com/files/icons/2052/social_network/32/youtube.pnghttps://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXM7d2GNQ9rR2wGiiNHxji__Ak2wcV33H99LJ9hSM7y_er9zuH5whttps://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRTwqfxNBrHDjXdZthp8bJ7PrM7_7aNtG4oEHFozzjBXdqu9zvX

No comments:

Post a Comment